Friday, February 12, 2010

Cinnamon Spiral Bread

I was in the mood to make fresh, homemade bread this afternoon. I used to make this recipe as a teenager in my Mom's kitchen. I can't wait to have a piece of it with our breakfast tomorrow morning! Ok...who am I kidding? I think I'll have a piece right now!!!





CINNAMON SPIRAL BREAD

1 c. warm water
1 pkg. yeast
2 c. lukewarm milk
2 c. quick-cooking rolled oats
1 T. salt
1/4 c. brown sugar, packed
2 eggs, beaten
2 T. soft shortening
1 c. raisins (optional)
6 c. flour

Dissolve yeast in water in mixing bowl. Stir in milk, rolled oats, salt, brown sugar, eggs, shortening, raisins and flour. Mix with hands. Turn on board until light. Knead until smooth and elastic (about 5 minutes). Round up in a greased bowl. Let rise until double in bulk (1 1/2 or 2 hours).

Dough before it has risen.


Divide into two round balls. Roll out in oblong shape. Sprinkle with 1/2 c. brown sugar and 2 t. cinnamon. Roll up like jelly roll, sealing lightly at end. Let rise for another hour. Bake at 375 degrees for 30 minutes or until done.

Makes 2 loaves.

No comments:

Post a Comment