Tuesday, May 29, 2012

My First CSA Experience

I purchased a CSA this spring and today we got to taste the first box of harvest! Not familiar with CSA's? CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture. A CSA is a type of membership that enables us to personally know the farmers and farms that produce the food. It is a direct purchasing relationship between the local farmer and the community members. It is like a "subscription" for fresh vegetables. Members agree to purchase a season's worth of produce or "share" before the harvest season begins. In turn, the members receive a weekly box of ultra-fresh harvest during the local growing season (June - October).

Here's what came in today's box: Snap peas, shelling peas, radishes, spring raab (similar to broccoli), bok choi, gourmet lettuce mix, and onions!



This not only guarantees that I will eat more veggies this summer but it's also a great way to try new ones that I wouldn't normally buy in the grocery store. I LOVE vegetables so I can't wait to see what comes in my box during the upcoming weeks!

For more information on this CSA, visit Zilke Vegetable Farm.

1 comment:

  1. I'm hoping to join one next summer, we'll be out of town too much this summer to make it worth it. Can't wait to see what you get.

    ReplyDelete