Thursday, June 23, 2011

Mom's Strawberry Pie

Every summer my mom makes tons of strawberry pies. I believe one year she made close to 100 pies!!! She makes them for friends, neighbors, relatives, people who are under-the-weather...just about anyone. It's her way of telling people she cares about them. If you know my mom, you have surely had the opportunity to try one of her amazing strawberry pies!

My favorite part about these pies are the homemade crusts. They are so flaky and delicious! Much better than store bought crusts and luckily they aren't hard to make either. I made this pie for my hubby to take to work. Everyone there loved it! My preschooler was a bit sad that I shipped this one away without him being able to sample it so I'll soon be making another one. :)





Mom's Strawberry Pie
Source: Mom

Pie Crust
1 1/2 c. flour
1/2 c. vegetable oil
1/2 t. salt
2 T. sugar
2 T. milk

Mix until an oily ball. Press into pie pan with back of hand or spoon. Bake 12 minutes at 400 degrees.

Pie Filling
1 c. sugar
3 T. cornstarch
2 T. white Karo
1 c. water
3 T. dry strawberry jello

In saucepan over med-high heat cook sugar, cornstarch, Karo, and water until thick and clear. Set off heat and add jello. Stir well. Cool until warm. Add 1 quart of strawberries and mix gently. Pour into baked shell and cool.

1 comment: