Wednesday, June 29, 2011

Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich

I made this sandwich about 4 hours ago and my mouth is still burning. I think I must have bought the hottest, spiciest jalapenos in the grocery store. I thought that once you de-seeped jalapenos, they supposedly weren't that hot, but I proved that to be wrong! None-the-less, this grilled cheese was great (if you can handle the heat). What a brilliant idea - the ingredients go together so well.

Word of caution: please wear gloves when deseeding and when removing the roasted skins from the jalapenos! Like I said, I made these hours ago and have washed my hands MANY times with lots of soap since then. But still...when I went to take my contacts out for the evening...I do believe my neighbors could probably hear me screaming because my eyes were on fire!!! Oops...





Jalapeno Popper Grilled Cheese Sandwich
Source: Closet Cooking

2 jalapeno peppers, cut in half lengthwise and seeded
2 slices sour dough bread
1 T. butter, room temperature
1 T. cream cheese, room temperature
1/4 c. jack and cheddar cheese, shredded
1 T. tortilla chips, crumbled

Place the peppers on a baking sheet with the cut side facing down. Place the baking sheet on the top shelf in the oven and broil until the outer layer of the skin has blackened, about 8-14 minutes. Place the peppers in a zip-lock bag or other sealable container, seal and let them cool until you can handle them, about 20 minutes. Remove the skins from the peppers. The skins should easily "pinch" off. Assemble sandwich and grill until golden brown and the cheese has melted, about 2-3 minutes per side.

No comments:

Post a Comment