Saturday, June 11, 2011

Asian Lettuce Wraps

I haven't been to P.F. Chang's in years but I will never forget how awesome their Chicken Lettuce Wraps are. They were always a must have when my friends and I would go there. When I came across this recipe, wonderful memories came back and my mouth started watering instantly.

They turned out really well and I served them as a main entre for dinner. I can't say that they are quite as good as P.F. Chang's but I'll still give them 2 thumbs up!

Note: The first night we had these I served them on pre-washed, precut green leaf lettuce (as seen in the picture). The second night I used iceberg lettuce (as the recipe calls for). I highly recommend using iceberg lettuce. It makes it taste a lot better and is more crunchy.





Asian Lettuce Wraps
Source: Our Best Bites

2 t. canola oil
4 cloves garlic, minced
1 T. minced fresh ginger
1 lb. ground chicken
3 oz. mushrooms, finely chopped (about 8 small mushrooms)
1/2 t. kosher salt
4 c. bagged coleslaw mix or thinly shredded cabbage
1 (8 oz.) can sliced water chestnuts, drained, rinsed, and finely minced
1/2 c. thinly sliced green onions
4 T. soy sauce
1 t. sesame oil
1 lemon, zested and juiced (about 3-4 T. juice)
1/2 - 1 t. sriracha or other hot sauce
1/3 c. roughly chopped cilantro
1-2 heads iceberg lettuce

Dipping/Drizzling Sauce
4 T. soy sauce
4 T. rice vinegar
3 T. water
2 t. honey
1-2 t. finely minced fresh ginger

Heat a very large skillet to medium-high heat on the stove top. When hot, add vegetable oil and then garlic and ginger. Saute for about 30 seconds, until fragrant, and then add ground chicken, chopped mushrooms, and kosher salt. Cook for about 5 minutes, stirring often, until chicken is cooked through. (*At this point, sometimes I have some extra liquid in the pan from the chicken. If it’s quite a bit, I tilt the pan and spoon it out so the chicken can cook and not boil.) Add cabbage/coleslaw, water chestnuts, and green onions. Cook for about 2 minutes, until cabbage starts to wilt. Add soy sauce, sesame oil, the zest from the lemon and the lemon juice, and hot sauce to taste. Remove from heat and stir in cilantro.

To prepare dipping sauce, combine all ingredients and whisk to combine.

To serve, carefully remove the individual leaves from the head of lettuce. (The closer you get to the center, the easier it becomes!) Place chicken mixture in the leaves and serve with sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment