Friday, October 29, 2010

Halloween Cake Pops



I did it! I finally did it! I made Cake Pops! I just love reading a food blog called Bakerella. She's the one that came up with cake pops and has made them for pretty much every holiday and carton character out there. They are just adorable! If you have never looked at her blog you should check it out. It's what inspired me to make these cake pops.

I'm pretty happy with how my cake pops turned out. It was a bit challenging to get the icing smooth but with practice, I kept getting better and better. My biggest disappointment was in the cool edible black pen that I bought from Michael's. I had all intentions of turning my pumpkins into jack o'lanterns but I could not get the pen to write on the orange chocolate melts. I barely got it to work on a couple of the white ghosts. Other than that I would call them a huge success though! I made them with chocolate cake and can of chocolate frosting.



Halloween Cake Pops
Source: Bakerella

1 box cake mix (cook as directed on box for 13 X 9 cake)
1 can frosting (16 oz.)
Wax paper
Green Tic Tacs (pumpkin stems)
Orange candy melts (pumpkins)
White candy melts (ghosts)
Chocolate candy melts (plain cake pops)
Halloween sprinkles
Lollipop sticks
Edible ink pens

After cake is cooked and cooled completely, crumble into large bowl. Mix thoroughly with 1 can frosting. (I use the back of a large spoon, but it may be easier to use fingers to mix together. But, be warned, it will get messy. Also, you may not need the entire can of frosting, so start out by using almost the entire can and add more if you need to.)

Roll mixture into quarter size balls and place on wax paper covered cookie sheet. (Should make 45-50) Melt chocolate in the microwave per directions on package. (30 sec intervals, stirring in between.) Dip the tip of your lollipop stick in a little of the melted candy coating and insert into the cake balls. (Insert a little less than halfway.)

Place them in the freezer for a little while to firm up. Once firm, carefully insert the cake ball into the candy coating by holding the lollipop stick and rotating until covered. Once covered remove and softly tap and rotate until the excess chocolate falls off. Don’t tap too hard or the cake ball will fall off, too. Place in a styrofoam block to dry. Once dry, draw faces with an edible ink pen and allow ink to dry!

1 comment:

  1. Great cake pops! I think the pumpkin pops look good even without faces! : )

    ReplyDelete