Sunday, October 3, 2010

Bruschette - Catalan Tomato Bread



I went to an Olive Oil Tasting this past August. It was one of the most unique and fun food events I have ever been too. Who knew there were so many different varieties of olive oils?!?! The tasting was at a famous deli in downtown Ann Arbor called Zingerman's. It's such a neat and unique place on its own. You could spend hours there just browsing and tasting all of their products from around the world.

That night we tasted olive oils on bread, drizzled over tomatoes, with goat cheese and bleu cheese and crackers, in a potato salad, as a dressing on a salad...we even had a cake that was made with olive oil (It was delicious!)!!! Not only did we sample olive oils on food, but we also taste-tested them by themselves. First swirling the olive oil container around in my hand, smelling it, slurping in a little bit, and then twirling it around in my mouth just as if I were at a wine taste-test.

If you ever have the opportunity to go to an olive oil tasting, I highly recommend it.

At the end of the tasting, they gave us a 20% off coupon so I bought one of my favorite extra virgin olive oils called Tibvrtini Olive Oil. A few days later, some friends from NJ came to visit and surprised me with my other favorite bottle called Roi Carte Noir.

Roi Carte Noir is now my all time favorite olive oil and it's all because of this recipe.



Bruschette - Catalan Tomato Bread
Source: Zingerman's

1/4 c. (2 oz.) delicate extra-virgin olive oil
8 slices grilled or toasted bread
2 vine-ripened juicy red tomatoes
Finely ground sea salt
Freshly ground black pepper (optional)

Brush or drizzle the olive oil onto the bread. Cut the tomatoes in half crosswise. Rub the cut side of a tomato onto each bread slice until the bread is red and moist. Sprinkle with sea salt and a few grindings of pepper. Serve immediately.

Notes:
*Bruschette requires high-quality, preferably artisanal bread.
*This recipe is best if you have very ripe tomatoes.

I will NEVER be able to buy a generic, on-sale bottle of extra virgin olive oil again! You really do get what you pay for.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you on olive oil! I have my 'special' bottle and then generic for other purposes. An oil tasting is very eye-opening, right!?

    ReplyDelete