Friday, July 8, 2011

Snickerdoodle Bread

We had a fun and relaxing 4th of July weekend at the lake house. My entire family was there so we all pitched in and bought or made things to share for all the meals while we were there. I made this snickerdoodle bread for breakfast and it was delicious! Nice and sweet and sugary just like snickerdoodle cookies. Yum!!! It was a big hit and everyone enjoyed it. It made 5 mini loaves so there was plenty to go around.





Snickerdoodle Bread
Source: Barbara Bakes

2 1/2 c. flour
2 t. baking powder
1/2 t. salt
2 t. cinnamon
1 c. butter, softened
2 c. sugar
3 eggs
2 t. vanilla
1 c. sour cream
1 1/2 c. cinnamon chips
2 T. flour

Topping:
2 T. sugar
2 t. cinnamon

Combine 2 1/2 cups flour and baking powder in a bowl. In a separate bowl cream butter, 2 c. sugar, salt and cinnamon until fluffy, about two minutes. Add eggs one at a time mixing well after each addition. Add vanilla and sour cream and mix to combine. Add flour mixture stirring until just combined. Coat the cinnamon chips with 2 T. flour and stir into batter.

Spoon batter into four/five greased mini loaf pans (5 3/4 x 3 1/4 x 2 1/4). Don’t fill more than 2/3 full. Combine 2 T. sugar and 2 t. cinnamon and sprinkle over the top of batter in the pans. Bake at 350º for 35 to 40 minutes until a toothpick inserted into a crack in the center of the loaf comes out clean. Remove from oven and let cool 5 minutes before removing from pan.

Note: You can also make this in two 9×5 loaf pans. Bake at 350º for 60 to 70 minutes until a toothpick inserted into a crack in the center of the loaf comes clean.

26 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh, I've gotta bookmark this one. Love snickerdoodles so much. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your bread up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2011/07/sweets-for-saturday-25.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where do you buy the cinnamon chips at - I have never seen them????

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I found them @ Kroger in the Lansing, MI area. They are a seasonal item and are only carried for the holidays. They were with the seasonal baking items in the middle of an aisle.

      Delete
    2. we have them at our Hannaford in upstate NY

      Delete
  3. Unfortunately cinnamon chips are hard to come by! I buy mine at a bulk food store in Shipshewana, Indiana called E & S Sales. You can also try buying them online on www.amazon.com or www.hersheysstore.com.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you happen to live in Buffalo NY they are in stock year round at Tops and Wegmans. I stock up on them when I go to visit family up there and bring them back to ATL with me. I will be making this bread tonight. My very very good friend loves sinkerdoodles and this will be perfect!

      Delete
    2. I do the same thing when I visit my family in Buffalo! ;) I live in Knoxville and am waiting for my mom to send me some Cinnamon chips -- I ran out! ;)

      Delete
  4. Kathie - I'm so glad you enjoyed the recipe. Thanks for linking to it. I'd love to go to culinary school one day.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Barbara - It is a wonderful recipe! I love your blog and visit it often! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you so much the recipe. Found it on Pinterest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I find the cinnamon chips only this time of year at select stores. We have a Ramey/Price Cutter supermarket and they usually have them. I can't wait to try this recipe! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is in the oven, so I can't comment on how it turns out, but I found cinnamon chips at a grocery in Cincinnati called Biggs.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Meijer sells cinnamon chips.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Can I just use cinnamon instead of the chips?

    ReplyDelete
  11. There is already plenty of cinnamon in the recipe but you could just omit the chips if you can't find them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great recipe! I've made this as a bread and as muffins (baked for 25 mins. instead of 60-70 mins.)We found our cinnamon chips at a Kroger in Detroit area, Mi.

    ReplyDelete
  13. In my small MO town we have two options for groceries and one did have the cinnamon chips. I think the bread is pretty good, but the chips might just be a bit too much cinnamon for me, but thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This is my "go to" baking recipe! Wonderful for gifts!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Made this tonight. I could hardly stand it when it was baking..it smelled sooooo good and just wanted to stare in the oven. It is so good. Definitely a keeper. Thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  16. walmart has cinnamon chips.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I made this twice, love it. The only problem I have is that it is very crumbly. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have made this twice and love it. The only problem is my bread is very crumbly. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Any suggestions?

    ReplyDelete
  19. Is it a dry crumbly? Perhaps you could cut back on the flour a little bit or turn your oven temp down. It's hard to tell what would cause it to be crumbly.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I tried this today, and it smelled great and looked good when it came out. Also it did taste very good, but mine was also very crumbly. Could not cut into it at all without it falling into pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is amazing! Thank you. I will be keeping this recipe and making it a lot. It went so quickly that I'm making another batch now! :)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Does anyone know how many full-sized loaves this would make and would the baking time need to be altered? THANKS!!

    ReplyDelete