Friday, July 29, 2011

Culinary School - Week 3

This week was very hard on my waistline! On Wednesday we baked Chocolate Chip Cookies, Oatmeal Raisin Cookies, Spritz Cookies, Fudge Brownies, and Checkerboard Cookies. Then yesterday we made Pita Bread, Roasted Red Pepper Almond Butter, Traditional Shortbread Cookies, Sour Cream Muffins with a Streusel Topping, and Cream Scones. I honestly would not be surprised if I tipped the scale a little more than usual this week, but it was so fun! It was a rather easy week since I've had a ton of experience baking cookies in the kitchen.

My group had a small incident when we saw some smoke coming out of our oven. We got so busy with everything that was going on in the kitchen that we forgot to take our shortbread cookies out. The commercial ovens in my school don't have the handy dandy timers on them like our one at home does. Besides, we usually have about 3 or 4 things baking at one time in about 2 or 3 different ovens so it's always a challenge to remember to check on things! The cookies were as black as could be and hard as a rock. Needless to say, they had to go straight into the trash. Oops!!! Oh well...we are only human. :)

During my Baking and Pastries Concepts class the instructor has been pounding us with baker's math quizes. I think I know every ounce, tablespoon, teaspoon, pint, quart, and gallon conversion there is to know! That's definitely a good thing to have under my belt. I always had to look it up on Google before but now it's implanted in my brain!

No comments:

Post a Comment