Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Lemon Curd

Some dear friends of mine bought me a jar of lemon curd this summer. My immediate thought was "Lemon Curd?!?!?! What the heck is that?" Well let me tell you....it was like eating a little bite of heaven. It was simply amazing!!! It's hard to explain but that first tiny taste test on the end of a spoon was packed with as much flavor as an entire lemon pie! It was such a wonderful experience and I've thanked them several times since then for such a yummy gift! In fact, the jar of lemon curd only lasted a week! I would like to say that I shared it with my family but I'm pretty sure I ate more than 3/4 of the jar! Lemon curd is great to make little fruit tarts with, to spread on top of scones or to layer in between a cake. I'm a simple gal though and I dipped mine in Nilla Wafers.

Last week I was in downtown Ann Arbor enjoying a fun night at a Summer Festival. We weren't far from Zingerman's (which is where the original jar of lemon curd came from) so I told my hubby that we had to swing by there so I could get some more lemon curd. I go directly to the shelf that it's normally located and am devastated to see they don't have any. I ask the salesperson if they have anymore and he tells me they will be getting a new shipment in soon. So I ask, "Will you have some by Friday?" His reply was, "It will probably be the end of August but we can call you when it comes in." End of August!?!?! For a foodie like me that seemed like enternity! So low and behold, the next morning I surf the web for recipes and create some lemon curd from scratch.

Pure deliciousness even if you just eat it straight out of the jar!!!





Microwave Lemon Curd
Source: Real Mom Kitchen

1 c. white sugar
3 eggs
1 c. fresh lemon juice
zest of 2 lemons (optional, I prefer without)
1/2 c. butter, melted

In a microwave-safe bowl, whisk together the sugar and eggs until smooth. Stir in lemon juice, lemon zest and butter. Cook in the microwave for one minute intervals, stirring after each minute until the mixture is thick enough to coat the back of a metal spoon. This took me a total of 4 minutes.

Remove from the microwave and cool for 1 hour. Store for up to three weeks in the refrigerator in a sealed container. It will thicken a little more once it has been refrigerated.

No comments:

Post a Comment