Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Greek Chicken

It's an understatement when I tell you this dish is amazing! First of all, I love olives. Green olives, black olives, kalamata olives, olives stuffed with garlic...I love them all!  So this dish immediately caught my eye when I saw it on Pinterest.  It turned out wonderful! I served it with white rice and a side of green beans. It makes quite a lot of chicken, but it was so good that we didn't end up with very many leftovers. We all found ourselves going back for more. 

The recipe also calls for Spanish olives which I thought I had on hand but realized I didn't once I started cooking.  Feta cheese is also optional.  I chose to leave that out but some of you may want to toss that in as well.



Greek Chicken
Source: Virginia is for hunter gatherers
4 lbs bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs
1 16 oz jar artichoke hearts, quartered
8-10 oz pitted kalamata olives (4-5 oz whole, 4-5 oz halved)
9-10 oz large Spanish olives, pimento stuffed (I unfortunately didn't have these in my pantry.)
10 large cloves garlic, grated
1 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
1/2 c. extra virgin olive oil
1/4 c. apple cider vinegar
2 T. balsamic vinegar
1 T. dried thyme
2 T. dried oregano
optional
1 16 oz container feta cheese

Pat chicken dry, and season with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, mix all other ingredients except chicken. Add chicken and mix thoroughly.  Allow to marinate at least 4 hours, but preferably overnight.

After marinading (add feta if using) and preheat the oven to 450ºF. Cover with foil, and bake in the oven for 45-50 minutes, uncovering for the final 5-10 minutes, until juices from the chicken run clear when poked with a fork. Serve in a shallow bowl with a combination of chicken and marinade ingredients. 

No comments:

Post a Comment