Tuesday, January 7, 2014

Chicken Pot Pie Soup

Baby it's COLD outside!!!! So this soup was just perfect for dinner last night!

I went in to the bakery this morning to work on a large cupcake order and the temperature was -15 degrees F!  I went in with 2 pairs of pants, 2 pairs of socks, and 2 shirts underneath all my winter gear and it made for great working conditions. The bakery can be rather cold at times since it's almost 100 years old so I was prepared this time.

I love chicken pot pie so I was sure I would love this soup as well.  I used Gina's skinny recipe over at skinnytaste.com but I made mine a little more "not so skinny" by using 2% milk instead of skim milk. My family likes their soup on the thicker side so I ended up adding a cornstarch slurry to the end of the recipe because the flour didn't make it as thick as I wanted.  The verdict?  It was wonderful and hit the spot on our bone chilling winter night! 



Chicken Pot Pie Soup

1/4 c. flour 
2 c. water 
4 c. fat free milk (I made mine "not so skinny" and used 2%)
1 large celery stalk, chopped
1/2 medium chopped onion
8 oz sliced baby portabella mushrooms 
2 chicken bouillon cubes
fresh ground pepper
pinch of thyme
10 oz frozen classic mixed vegetables (peas, carrots, green beans, corn)
2 potatoes, peeled and cubed small
16 oz cooked chicken breast, diced small
salt

Directions:

Create a slurry by combining 1/2 cup of the cold water with flour in a medium bowl and whisk until well blended. Set aside.

Pour remaining water and milk into a large pot and slowly bring to a boil. Add celery, onion, mushrooms, chicken bullion, thyme, fresh pepper, frozen vegetables and return to a boil. Partially cover and simmer on low until vegetables are soft, about 20 minutes. Remove lid, add potatoes and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add chicken, and slowly whisk in slurry, stirring well as you add. Cook another 2-3 minutes, until soup thickens, adjust salt and pepper to taste and serve.

1 comment: