Monday, January 2, 2012

Fried Swai Fish with Dipping Sauce



Here's another one of my favorite Chinese recipes. I'm so excited to share it with you. It's another recipe that my sweet father-in-law taught me himself. I begged him to teach me several things before they went back to China. He used to own his own Chinese restaurant in the northern burbs of Chicago so he has many, many amazing recipes that he can just make by heart. He offered to teach me anything I wanted and this was sure to be one of them. I can't wait until their next visit so I can learn even more from him.

I love this fish because it's not fishy at all. It's so tender and frying it up makes it even that much better. Everyone (even my kids) devour this meal every time I make it!



Fried Swai Fish w/Dipping Sauce
Source: my wonderful father-in-law

2 frozen swai (or sole) fish fillets
1/2 t. salt
1 t. sugar
1 egg
1 1/2 T. cornstarch
1 1/2 T. flour
- - - - - - - - - -
1/8 c. ketchup
1 ½ t. chinkiang vinegar
2 t. sugar
1 ½ t. soy sauce
little squirt of hot sauce
¼ t. sesame oil

Cut 2 frozen swai fish fillets in half (length wise); then cut each half in 4 pieces cutting at an angle.

Put fish pieces in small mixing bowl and add ½ t. salt, 1 t. sugar, 1 egg, 1 ½ T. cornstarch, and 1 ½ T. flour. Stirring after each addition.

In large frying pan heat oil on high heat. Fry fish on med-hi heat for approx. 3-4 minutes on each side or until golden on both sides. Remove from oil.

To make the sauce:
Add 1/8 c. ketchup, 1 ½ t. chinkiang vinegar, 2 t. sugar, 1 ½ t. soy sauce, little squirt of hot sauce, and ¼ t. sesame oil to a small sauce pan. Heat up over med-high heat. Stir while warming up the sauce and don’t cook it too long or the sugar will burn.

If the sauce is too thick, you can add a little water to thin it out.

3 comments:

  1. I wasn't up for more baked swai fish, so I looked up fried swai fish and stumbled upon your recipe.

    It turned out really well. Tonight's dinner was the first meal that I'd cooked and enjoyed in a long time. I've been missing the Asian dishes I grew up with, so this is really nice.

    Thank you! I'm looking forward to trying your other recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this last night and I loved it! Sauce to go with fish is very yummy, although I didn't have chinkiang vinegar so I used white rice vinegar instead and it still came out great. Thanks for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Me, our prince & hubby just had this tonight and was excellent we didn't use dipping sauce we use sweet & sour sauce. ***** from us. <3

    ReplyDelete