Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Baked French Toast

This recipe is AMAZING!!! I fixed it for Christmas brunch with hubby's side of the family and again on New Year's for my side of the family. The picture doesn't even show exactly how good this is, but trust me, you'll want to make it! I especially love this recipe because it's one of those where you prepare it the night before, let it sit in your fridge, and then pop it in your oven the next morning. It is sweet and delicious! Your family is sure to go back for seconds!

*Instead of using French bread like the recipe calls for, I used 1 1/4 loaves of cinnamon swirl bread. Yum!



Baked French Toast
Source: Michelle W.

1 loaf (12 oz.) French bread, sliced into 1 inch slices
8 eggs
2 c. milk
2 c. half and half
2 t. vanilla
1/2 t. nutmeg
1/2 t. cinnamon
1/2 t. pumpkin pie spice
1/4 t. allspice

Topping
3/4 c. margarine, softened
1 1/3 c. brown sugar
3 T. light corn syrup
1 t. butter pecan flavoring (I used maple flavoring)
1 c. coarsely chopped pecans

Butter a 9x13 baking dish. Layer with bread slices to within 1/2 inch of top. Set aside. In blender, mix eggs, milk, half and half, vanilla, and seasonings. Pour mixture over bread slices. Refrigerate, covered overnight.

Make topping mixture by combining remaining ingredients. Set aside until ready to bake. Spread topping all over. Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes or until puffed and golden. Serve with warm maple syrup.

1 comment:

  1. That caramelization on the top looks fantastic. I have a sweet treat linky party going on at my blog till Monday night and I'd love it if you'd come by and link your french toast up. http://sweet-as-sugar-cookies.blogspot.com/2012/01/sweets-for-saturday-54.html

    ReplyDelete