Saturday, September 10, 2011

Red Beans & Rice

My family loves rice and beans! Whether it's from a Mexican restaurant, part of a Cuban recipe, or as a side dish at Popeye's! I needed a quick meal to throw together and I've had this recipe on my radar for months. It was perfect. A complete meal in one dish and super easy to throw together.

This was my first time using Zatarains Creole Seasoning. I love the stuff but please notice that the first item on the ingredient list is salt. I didn't realize that when I went a little "shaker happy" while cooking. It turned out a little more salty than I would have liked but next time I'll just remember to not put as much seasoning on it. Great meal overall!





Red Beans & Rice
Source: www.kevinandamanda.com

1 c. long grain white rice
2 c. hot water
2-3 T. extra virgin olive oil
1 pkg (14 oz) smoked sausage
1 can red beans
Zatarains Creole Seasoning

Add the rice and water to a sauce pan with a lid. Bring to boil, reduce heat to low, then cover & simmer for 15 mins. Meanwhile, thinly slice the sausage and drain the juice from the red beans into the sink. Add 2-3 tbsp olive oil to to a large skillet and begin heating over medium heat. Add the sausage, give a sprinkling of creole seasoning and stir occasionally for about 7 mins until the sausages start to get sizzly on both sides. Add the red beans and stir until warmed through. About this time, your rice should be done too. Serve the beans and sausage over the rice. Add extra creole seasoning as desired at the table. Serves 2-3.

2 comments:

  1. Since I lived in Louisiana for long while, I have made and eaten red beans and rice alot. I have made my own recipe from eating at lots of places and adjusting to my tastes. When you cook the sausage add onion, green pepper and or garlic to this, whatever you have in the house frig or garden. This adds lots of flavor. Also I don't like to drain my beans, most red beans and rice are thick, so keeping the juice adds that thickness the easy way that is tasteful. My thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, that looks really good. I just found your blog through google, I have a great Beans and Rice recipe that I would be delighted if you checked out

    http://picturesofaprincess.blogspot.com/2011/09/red-beans-and-brown-rice.html

    Jules

    ReplyDelete