Monday, September 12, 2011

Culinary School - Weeks 8 and 9

Another two {fattening} fun weeks were had at culinary school. During week 8 we learned all about custards: stirred custards, starch bound custards and baked custards. We made Crème Caramel, Baked Crème Brulee, Pot de Crème (pronounced poh-de-krem), Vanilla Bavarian Cream, Lady Fingers, Charlotte, Lacey Pecan Cookies, Fruit Coulis, and Contemporary Chocolate Mousse.

At the end of each week, there is always something I feel I must have {need} so I can recreate these wonderful masterpieces at home. This time I rushed home and ordered some ramekins off of Amazon. I can't wait to make some Pot De Creme and Crème Brulee for my hubby!

During week 9 we learned all about frozen desserts. We learned the differences between ice cream, sorbet, sherbet, granita, and gelato. We made Chocolate Peanut Butter Ice Cream, Strawberry Ice Cream, Lemon Sorbet, Tuile Cookies, Chocolate Souffle, Jumbo Cinnamon Rolls with Cream Cheese Icing, and Pizza! This was the first time in my life that I ate ice cream at 8:30 in the morning and did not feel guilty about it! :) It was awesome!!!

I went into our basement this weekend and dusted off my ice cream machine that I haven't used in years. After all that I learned in class last week I was excited to make some homemade ice cream. I decided to start by making strawberry ice cream because it is my hubby and little boy's favorite. Counting all the thumbs in our house, it received 8 thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment