Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Tomato Pie

The other day when we went camping, my uncle not only sent me home with blueberries but also a bag of tomatoes fresh out of his garden! Tomatoes are one of my favorite veggies which is kind of funny considering I used to hate them when I was a kid.

This tomato pie recipe is a favorite of mine! It's the first time I've made it this year. There's just something about using tomatoes out of the garden versus from a grocery store that makes it taste so much better!

My picture doesn't do it justice but my photographer (husband) was still at work when it came out of the oven so I had to manage without him. :)



Tomato Pie
Source: Paula Deen

4 tomatoes, peeled and sliced
10 fresh basil leaves, chopped
1/2 c. chopped green onion
1 (9-inch) prebaked deep dish pie shell
1 c. grated mozzarella
1 c. grated cheddar
1 c. mayonnaise
Salt and pepper

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.

Place the tomatoes in a colander in the sink in 1 layer. Sprinkle with salt and allow to drain for 10 minutes.

Layer the tomato slices, basil, and onion in pie shell. Season with salt and pepper. Combine the grated cheeses and mayonnaise together. Spread mixture on top of the tomatoes and bake for 30 minutes or until lightly browned.

To serve, cut into slices and serve warm.

3 comments:

  1. Mmm, this looks delicious. I'm drooling over all the recipes you have. Newest follower! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The first time my Mom said she was making tomato pie, I gagged a bit. Then we ate it and it's become a family favorite of my own little family and my in-laws. Paula Deen's recipe is also the one I use. YUM!

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1 of my all time favorites we just discovered last year too! Sometimes I also brush the inside of the pie shell lightly with Dijon. Can't wait for this years tomato crop. pS You can easily cut back on the mayo and cheese anf it still tastes great.

    ReplyDelete