Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Churrasco Cubano Cuban Skirt Steak

Wow! Tonight's dinner was off the charts! I would definitely give it 11 out of 10 stars!



In New Jersey, our favorite restaurant was Cuban Pete's and we almost always ordered their Churrasco. Now that we live in Michigan, I decided to Google "churrasco" and see what kind of recipes were out there. It didn't look that hard so I tried it and my hubby threw it on the grill when he got home from work. We LOVED it!!! Who needs a Cuban restaurant when you can do it yourself? I even served it with beans and rice so the only thing missing were plantains. Maybe I'll try frying up some plantains next time...

A couple things you'll need to know for this recipe:
1) To make sour orange juice, use 2 parts orange juice and 1 part lemon juice.

2) I looked in 3 different grocery stores and none of them had skirt steak. The butcher told me that the next closest thing to that cut of meat was flank steak, so that's what I used.

Churrasco Cubano Cuban Skirt Steak
Source: www.grouprecipes.com

3 lbs skirt steak
1 c. olive oil
30 garlic cloves (minced)
1 c. large onion (minced)
2 t. oregano
1 c. sour orange juice
2 t. salt and black pepper



Ingredients for chimichurri sauce:
3/4 c. cilantro (chopped)
6 garlic cloves (minced)
1 T. salt
1/4 c. vinegar
1/4 c. oregano (chopped)
1/3 c. olive oil

Lime Wedges

To make marinade for the steaks: Add the sour orange juice, garlic, salt, onion and oregano into a bowl and stir well. Pepper is optional. Heat the olive oil in a pan for 3 minutes over medium-high heat, then pour oil into bowl and stir. Let cool for half an hour.

Add the steaks into the bowl, covering the steaks with the marinade. Cover and let marinate overnight in the refrigerator.

In the meantime, prepare the chimichurri sauce. In a blender, place the vinegar, cilantro, salt, oregano and garlic and pulse until the ingredients are well blended. Pour the sauce into a medium bowl, and add the olive oil, whisking it as you add it. You may also add lime juice to taste.

Grill on barbecue - cook until medium rare to medium. Serve with chimichurri sauce and a squeeze of fresh lime juice.

3 comments:

  1. just had this from the chef herself. will eat again A+++++++++++++++

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this!! I recently moved away from the area and was googling how to make it myself when I stumbled on your blog. I hope you don't mind that I've pinned it on pinterest! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I live near Cuban Pete's and always order the Churrasco. I can't wait to try and make it myself. I'll always broil the skirt steak with nothing on it and it still tastes great. I can't wait tomfollow your recipe.

    ReplyDelete