Saturday, May 14, 2011

Midterms Are Over!


Shew!!! Midterms are over and I did very well! All that studying and practicing in the kitchen seemed to have paid off!

In my cooking midterm yesterday we had to do the following in a 2-hour timeframe:
  • 2 Carrots, 1/4" small dice
  • 1 Onion, 1/4" small dice
  • 1 Potato, regular julienne 1/8" x 1/8" x 2"
  • 2 Tomato concassée, 1/4" small dice
  • 2 Celery, 1/2" medium dice
  • Parsley dust
  • Hollandaise sauce
  • Béchamel sauce
  • 1 Poached egg
  • Tourné 1 Potato (4 pieces) - Extra Credit

I am happy to announce that I got it all done in the allotted 2 hours and even had time to tourne the potato for extra credit!

Today we learned all about vegetables. Believe it or not, vegetables are one of my favorite food groups.  I'm very fortunate that my son seems to have that same love.  Here are the things we cooked today: sautéed green beans, roasted squash, cauliflower au gratin, sauteed spinach, ratatouille, braised collard greens and glazed rolled cut carrots. Yum! I had a big heaping plate full of veggies for my lunch today (we get to eat our masterpieces after we are done cooking) and everything was so good. The ratatouille was probably my favorite of them all; which also made me think of the cute Disney movie.

In 2 weeks I will be taking the big ServSafe certification test for my Sanitation & Safety class. That will require some additional studying! 

No comments:

Post a Comment