Sunday, May 29, 2011

Horchata



I have a favorite drink for every type of cuisine. I am constantly adding my favorite drink recipes to this blog. Almost every time we go out for Mexican food my hubby and I will order Horchata to drink with our burritos or enchiladas. If you've never had one before, it takes like a sweet milky drink with a nice hint of cinnamon. Several years ago, I bought a powder mix to make the drink from. It was ok but not as good as what you get in a restaurant. So...of course, I decided it was time to make it from scratch. There are lots of horchata recipes out there. You probably have most, if not all, the ingredients already in your kitchen!





Horchata
Source: Adapted from allrecipes.com

1 c. uncooked white long-grain rice
5 c. water
2 cinnamon sticks
3/4 c. milk
1/2 T. vanilla extract
2/3 c. sugar

Pour the rice and water into the bowl of a blender; blend until the rice just begins to break up, about 1 minute. Let rice, water, and cinnamon sticks set overnight in the refrigerator.

Strain the rice water into a pitcher and discard the rice and cinnamon sticks. Stir the milk, vanilla, and sugar into the rice water. Chill and stir before serving over ice.

No comments:

Post a Comment