Thursday, August 18, 2011

Zucchini Bread

Someone called me the other day and made my day! She told me that she had an abundance of zucchini in her garden and wondered if I could use some. I said, "YES! I would love some!!!" What a great friend she is! I don't have any zucchini growing in my garden but that is quite a surprise considering it is my second favorite vegetable. (Maybe next year...) Tomatoes are my all-time favorite veggie and I have FIVE tomato plants growing out back but I love making zucchini recipes in the summer too. They are so many different ways to use zucchini including these recipes that I posted last summer:

Stuffed Zucchini
Zucchini Hamburger with Rice
Cheesy Zucchini
Zucchini Cookies
Zucchini Fries

This is a bread recipe that we made in culinary school. It is delicious as well!





Zucchini Bread
Source: On Baking: A Textbook of Baking and Pastry Fundamentals

5 oz. Eggs (approx. 3 eggs)
7 oz. Corn Oil
1 lb. 2 oz. Sugar
0.15 fl. oz. Vanilla extract (1 t.)
0.14 oz. Cinnamon, ground (2 t.)
0.2 oz. Salt (1 t.)
0.14 oz. Baking soda (1 t.)
0.07 oz. Baking powder (1/2 t.)
14 oz. All-purpose flour
11 oz. Zucchini, coarsely grated
4 oz. Pecans, chopped (optional)

Sift the dry ingredients together (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon). Stir the liquid ingredients together (eggs, corn oil, vanilla extract). Stir the liquid mixture into the dry ingredients. Do not overmix. The batter should be lumpy. Gently fold in the zucchini and pecans. Bake in two greased loaf pans at 350°F, approximately 1 hour.

3 comments:

  1. This summer I made DOUBLE chocolate zucchini bread! Cocoa powder and chocolate chips... Oh my! Can't wait to try your recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum!! I love zucchini, but to my surprise I've actually never tried baking it into bread before. First time for everything, right? :)

    @}---Rosie

    ReplyDelete
  3. Susan - That sounds amazing!

    Rosie - Yes, there is definitely a first time for everything! You should try it. I bet you'll love it. I've even made a zucchini pie before. Sounds a bit weird but it tastes just like a cream pie!

    ReplyDelete