I made meatloaf for dinner last night and everything inside of it was healthy! I told you I'm on a health kick. I was a little skeptical when I first read the recipe and noticed that I would be using cauliflower instead of bread crumbs! However, it turned out great and my kids even liked it. (I kept the cauliflower part a secret...but they had no clue! :)
Source: Living Paleo for Dummies by Melissa Joulwan
1/2 c. Cave Man Ketchup (recipe below)
1/2 T. cider vinegar
1 T. honey
1/2 head cauliflower
2 t. coconut oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 large eggs
1/2 t. dried thyme
1 t. salt
1/2 t. ground black pepper
2 t. Dijon mustard
2 t. coconut aminos (substitute for soy sauce)
1/4 t. hot pepper sauce
1/2 c. coconut milk
1 c. fresh parsley leaves, minced (about 1/3 cup)
2 lbs. ground beef
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. In a small bowl, mix the Cave Man Ketchup with the vinegar and honey; set aside.
2. Break the cauliflower into florets, removing the stems, and then place in a food processor and pulse until the cauliflower is the texture of fine breadcrumbs, about ten to fifteen 1-second pulses. Place in a large mixing bowl.
3. Heat coconut oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and saute until soft, about 5 minutes. Set aside to cool.
4. To the cauliflower, add the eggs, thyme, salt, pepper, mustard, coconut aminos, hot pepper sauce, coconut milk, and parsley. Mix until combined, and then add the cooked onions and garlic and ground beef; mix well.
5. Pat into a meatloaf pan with a perforated bottom, or pat into a loaf shape with your hands and place on a roasting rack set on a baking sheet to catch drippings. Brush the loaf with half of the ketchup glaze; bake for 45 minutes.
6. Brush with the remaining half of the glaze and continue to bake another 20 minutes. Remove from the oven and allow to rest for 15 minutes before serving.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Cave Man Ketchup
One 6-ounce can tomato paste
1/3 c. water
2 T. cider vinegar
2 t. honey
1/4 t. dry mustard
1/4 t. ground cinnamon
Pinch of cloves
Pinch of allspice
1. Place all ingredients in a saucepan and whisk to combine. Place on high heat and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer gently, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
2. Cool the ketchup to room temperature before using. Transfer to a container with a lid and store in the refrigerator.