Saturday, April 30, 2011

Time to Study for Midterms!

This was my favorite week of cooking class so far! We learned about breakfast foods - in particular eggs.

Yesterday we learned the best way to poach an egg. (There will be a separate post with all those details in the near future.) We also shirred (baked) an egg and learned how to make a sunny-side up versus over-medium versus over-hard, etc. We were not allowed to use a spatula like you probably do at home. Oh no....we had to learn how to flip them right in the pan with the motion of your wrist. I was very nervous about my first flip. I was afraid it would either land all over myself, on the ceiling, or all over the floor. I am proud to say that I did not make any messes though! :) With each flip came more confidence and it's really not as hard as it looks. You just have to get the egg really close to the edge of the pan before doing the circular motion with your wrist/hand to flip it over.

We also did a ton of prep work yesterday so that today we could make a HUGE breakfast for all the students and staff. Here's what all we made:

Scrambled Eggs
Rolled Omelets
Crepes
Hashbrowns - one from baked potatoes, one from raw
Bisquits and Gravy
Pancakes
French Toast
Eggs Benedict w/Hollandaise
Corn Beef Hash
Bacon
Sausage
Apple Streusel Muffins and Fruit Salad

It was a very busy class but the chef gave us plenty of time to sit down to eat it all as well. It was great! I left class today feeling like someone needed to roll me out to my car! :)

Not much new to report on my Sanitation and Safety class. I have a lot of studying to do because midterms for that class are next week! Wish me luck!

3 comments:

  1. What school are you attending? I myself am in culinary school and have my midterm for sanitation tonight. I have been studying like crazy but doesn't seem to be sinking in.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Susan - I attend the Art Institute of Michigan. What school do you attend and what program are you in? Good luck on your midterm tonight!!!

    ReplyDelete