Friday, July 30, 2010

Blueberry Breakfast Cake

The kids and I went camping with my parents in Middlebury, IN this week. We had fun shopping at all the little stores in Shipshewana and just relaxing for the day. My aunt and uncle were there too and they sent me home with a big bag of blueberries. I thought this cake looked good and wanted to try it. We had it for dessert after dinner tonight and it was delicious. I plan on eating more for breakfast tomorrow. Now I need to figure out what I'm going to make with the other half of blueberries...I'm sure I'll come up with something good!

Thanks again for all the blueberries Uncle Tim and Aunt Jenny!!!!



Blueberry Breakfast Cake
Source: Amanda's Cookin' and Annie's Recipes

2 c. flour
1/2 c. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1 egg, lightly beaten
1/2 c. milk
1/4 c. butter or margarine, softened
1 t. grated lemon peel
2 c. fresh or frozen blueberries

TOPPING:
1/3 c. sugar
1/4 c. flour
1/4 c. finely chopped walnuts (I used pecan pieces that I already had on hand)
1/2 t. ground cinnamon
3 T. cold butter or margarine

DRIZZLE:
1/2 c. powdered sugar
1-2 T. milk

In a large bowl, whisk together flour, sugar and baking powder. Add egg, milk, butter and lemon peel; mix just until dry ingredients are moistened. Fold in the blueberries. Spread in a greased 9-in. square baking pan.

For topping, combine sugar, flour, walnuts and cinnamon in a mini food processor or bowl. Add butter and process, or cut in if doing by hand, until mixture is crumbly. Sprinkle over batter. Bake at 350 degrees for 40-45 minutes.

For drizzle, combine the powdered sugar and milk. If too thick, add a few drops of additional milk at a time until it reaches drizzling consistency. Drizzle over the top of the cake.

2 comments:

  1. Is 1/2 cup of milk correct? The dough is very thick!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Daniel,
      I just checked the original source of this recipe and yes, 1/2 cup milk is correct.

      Delete