Saturday, October 22, 2011

Parmesan Roasted Broccoli

I'm very fortunate that broccoli is one vegetable that both of my little kids love. I usually just steam it and then lightly salt it and sprinkle with some shredded Cheddar cheese. I saw this recipe for roasted broccoli on Pinterest and then later checked out Barefoot Contessa's cookbook from my local library.

I was a bit skeptical at first. Lemon zest and lemon juice on broccoli just didn't sound very appealing. Let me tell you though...it is amazing!!! It is new favorite way to cook broccoli. It was packed with flavor and the lemon taste complimented the broccoli very well. My whole family loved it. I didn't have any pine nuts or basil on hand so I left them out. It was still good without them but I definitely want to add some pine nuts next time!



Parmesan Roasted Broccoli
Source: Barefoot Contessa: Back to Basics

4 to 5 pounds Broccoli
4 Garlic Cloves, peeled and thinly sliced
Olive Oil
1 1/2 t. Kosher Salt
1/2 t. freshly ground Black Pepper
2 t. grated Lemon Zest
2 T. freshly squeezed Lemon Juice
3 T. Pine Nuts, toasted
1/3 c. freshly grated Parmesan Cheese
2 T. julienned fresh Basil Leaves (about 12 leaves)

Preheat the oven to 425 degrees.

Cut the broccoli florets from the thick stalks, leaving an inch or two of stalk attached to the florets, discarding the rest of the stalks. Cut the larger pieces through the base of the head with a small knife, pulling the florets apart. You should have about 8 cups of florets. Place the broccoli florets on a sheet pan large enough to hold them in a single layer. Toss the garlic on the broccoli and drizzle with 5 tablespoons olive oil. Sprinkle with the salt and pepper. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes, until crisp-tender and the tips of some of the florets are browned.

Remove the broccoli from the oven and immediately toss with 1 1/2 tablespoons olive oil, the lemon zest, lemon juice, pine nuts, Parmesan, and basil. Serve hot.

2 comments:

  1. Great recipe, and easy! Thanks for sharing.. love your photos too..

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this for the first time not too long ago. Somehow, in a moment of complete craziness, I forgot to put the parm and basil on. BUT, it was still delicious! I decided it would be good with cauliflower too - or even a combo of both. WITH the cheese next time!!! :o)

    ReplyDelete